1 a pause during which things are calm or activities are diminished; "there was never a letup in the noise" [syn: letup]
2 a period of calm weather; "there was a lull in the storm" [syn: quiet]
1 calm by deception; "Don't let yourself be lulled into a false state of security"
2 become quiet or less intensive; "the fighting lulled for a moment" [syn: calm down]
3 make calm or still; "quiet the dragons of worry and fear" [syn: calm, calm down, quiet, tranquilize, tranquillize, tranquillise, quieten, still] [ant: agitate]
EtymologyMiddle English lullen. Probably expressive origin from la-la-la sounds made in calming a child
- Rhymes: -ʌl
- A period of rest or soothing
- An extended pause between sets of waves.
- About 2 hours in, a hella long lull cleared everyone out, and then it started getting a little more consistent and pushing chest ta neck high — 808surfer.com forum http://www.808surfer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5611&sid=89085fc4ffa26528388fbcce5f7faf50
- To cause to rest by soothing influences; to compose; to calm; to soothe; to quiet.
- Finnish: tuudittaa
Lull can mean:
- Lull (band), a musical project by Mick Harris.
- Lull (EP), an EP by the Smashing Pumpkins
- "Lull", a song by Andrew Bird
- "Lull", a song by Radiohead, a B-side to Karma Police
- Saint Lullus, also referred to as Lull or Lul
- R. S. Lull, paleontologist
- Ramon Llull, philosopher
- Arthur de Lull (or de Lulli), pseudonym of Euphemia Allen
- Lull, a brand of reach forklift built by JLG Inc.
abate, abeyance, allay, alleviate, anesthetize, anticyclone, appease, assuage, awful silence, balm, becalm, benumb, breach, break, breath, breather, breathing place, breathing space, breathing spell, breathing time, caesura, calm, calm down, calmness, cease, cease-fire, cessation, cigarette break, cocktail hour, coffee break, comma, compose, cool, cradle, cushion, day off, dead, dead calm, dead of night, deaden, deaden the pain, deathlike calm, deathlike silence, delay, die down, diminish, doldrums, dope, dormancy, downtime, drop, drug, dulcify, dull, dwindle, ease, ease matters, ease off, ebb, enforced respite, entrance, even out, fall, fissure, flat calm, foment, gap, gentle, give relief, golden silence, half time, half-time intermission, halt, happy hour, hesitation, hiatus, hibernation, holiday, horse latitudes, hush, hush of night, hypnotize, immobility, inaction, inactiveness, inactivity, inaudibility, inertia, interim, interlude, intermezzo, intermission, intermittence, interregnum, interruption, interval, lacuna, lapse, lay, layoff, lessen, let up, letup, lucid stillness, lull to sleep, magnetize, mesmerize, mitigate, moderate, molder, mollify, motionlessness, mum, narcotize, noiselessness, numb, off-time, oily calm, pacify, pad, palliate, pause, peace, peacefulness, plateau, point of repose, poultice, pour balm into, pour oil on, put to sleep, put under, qualify, quell, quiesce, quiescence, quiet, quiet spell, quieten, quietness, quietude, recess, reduce, relief, relieve, remission, respite, rest, resting point, rock, rock to sleep, salve, sedate, settle, silence, silentness, slacken, slake, smooth, smooth down, smooth over, smoothen, soften, solemn silence, soothe, soundlessness, spell, stabilize, stand-down, stay, steady, still, stillness, stop, stupe, subdue, subside, surcease, suspension, tacitness, taciturnity, tea break, temper, time off, time out, tomblike silence, trance, tranquilize, tranquillity, truce, underactivity, vacation, wane, whisht, windlessness